28 January 2010

J.D.--last of my heroes

Well, I'm sad. Yeah, like...definitely. Speechless. Well, nearly speechless.
J.D. Salinger, brilliant man, writer, superhero, slayer of dragons, all around terrific human--
died today.

I know I didn't know him personally, and Holden hated phonies--
so I'll stress how sincere I am.

Like, he was brilliant. He said many times he liked seeing "movies"--
Not "films"-- "movies."

His favorite was The 39 Steps. Which made me grin to no end when I found out. How terrific is that?

Catcher in the Rye was (and I doubt I'm alone in this) the book that made me want to be a writer. The book that made me realize-- casual writing can be good too-- often has even more truth than other work.

But really, he will be missed. RIP J.D. You were too cool.


Artman2112 said...

its always tough when we find out our heroes are mortal like the rest of us, we tend to not think of them that way :(

Ash, The Movie Geek said...

The 39 Steps his favorite movie?
Yeah, sure.
What a phony! ;)

Anonymous said...

[b]shop 23 software, [url=]buy it now software[/url]
[url=]office 97 software[/url] cheap powerpoint software oem version of software
buy game software [url=]line software store want[/url] icon plugin for acdsee
[url=]buy adobe software online[/url] adobe acrobat 9 pro hack
[url=]Standart Edition Mac Retail[/url] on purchase of software
used microsoft software [url=]windows vista software downloads[/url][/b]

Lolita said...

The day I found out that he had died was the same day I discussed Salinger with a friend who was just reading the last pages of Catcher in the Rye. He didn't know either. Quite the coincidence.

Anonymous said...

[b]selling educational software, [url=]acdsee pro 2 ebooks torrents[/url]
[url=]wholesale adobe photoshop cs2 for mac[/url] buy macromedia breeze are oem software
buy microsoft xp software [url=]buy a photoshop[/url] acdsee 6.0 licence number
[url=]windows software for sale[/url] academic software xp
[url=]autocad class minneapolis[/url] free online shop software
buy outdated software [url=]buy discounted software[/url][/b]