THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

08 July 2009

Photo(s) of the Day

As you most likely did not know, I've been running (is that the word?) another website until just recently. It was a bore, which was one reason I stopped publishing it. Anyhow, there were quite a few "photo of the day" posts there, so to save time (mine and yours) I'll put them here.
Swell, huh?


The first Ginger Rogers movie I had the pleasure of seeing was Stage Door. If you haven't seen it-- it's fabulous. Beyond that. Often though, people seem to overlook it for The Women, a movie made in 1939 that captured the attitude but not really the mood or magic of Stage Door.

Anyway, that's the one that made me a fan. After that, I bought Carefree, which has Ginger paired with Fred Astraire. It's not one of their most musical movies--it has only three or four songs--but it's pretty terrific to see Ginger chasing Fred for a change.
As it stands now, Ginger's one of my favorite actresses. At first I didn't think she was particularly attractive, but now she seems like a sort of blonde Vivien Leigh...especially about the mouth. Anyway, above is a link to see her first appearance on What's My Line. Fun stuff.

*Honorable mentions go to The Major and the Minor, with Ray Milland, and Bachelor Mother, a neat little comedy co-starring David Niven.

When I was younger...oh, about 10, I had no real interest in Doris Day. I thought her too nice for her own good. Then, a few years later, I saw the movie Antz. Hold on, I'm getting there. Anyway, at the end of Antz there was a song called "High Hopes," sung by, would you believe it, Miss Doris Day.

Long story short, I saw everything of hers I could...including this picture-- ain't it a kick?

For non-fans (that is, non-fans as of right now), try Romance on the High Seas. She plays a club singer and does a great job...not a normal role for her, as this character's a bit more, let's say, willing, than most of hers. If you're not much for musicals....get out of here. Or, try Alfred Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much. But make sure it's the later version, otherwise you're liable to hate me. And we wouldn't want that.

Oh Rita. Oh Orson. Oh why couldn't it have worked? Oh, abuse. Maybe. Either way, they were quite the cool coupling in the forties.
Orson Welles is known for directing what AFI calls the "most historically influential film" ever, Citizen Kane. I like Citizen Kane, but prefer his later noir Touch of Evil, with Janet Leigh.
I first saw Rita Hayworth in Gilda (who didn't?) and thought she was fabulous (ditto). After that, I went on to watch Cover Girl and Pal Joey. So she didn't sing.
This picture's from the set of The Lady from Shanghai, which is another really good one. And how cool is her hair?

The first time I saw Leslie Caron (in An American in Paris, her first film), I wan't too impressed. I loved her "introduction" scene, but otherwise the character just didn't do it for me, probably because there wasn't much character there.

I much preferred her in the musical Lili, which is a delight (ever heard the song "Hi Lili, Hi Lo"? It's marvelous). I was apprehensive about watching Gigi at first...I'd always thought Audrey should've gotten it. Then I found out it was the Freed Unit's last MGM big-production musical, so of course I had to watch. Brilliant.

Leslie Caron's always great with character, making each one she plays her very own. Father Goose and Fanny are two more of hers I'd recommend.

She's one of a very few leading ladies from the Golden Age to continue acting today, and she's just swell.

So, are we all agreed that Judy Garland was indeed the greatest entertainer of the twentieth century? Cool, that's good to know.
I saw Meet Me in St. Louis when I was five or so, and loved it, but didn't really become interested (okay, obsessed) with Judy Garland until I about twelve years later. If you haven't, see Easter Parade. And For Me and My Gal. And A Star is Born. And Presenting Lily Mars. Ooh, and The Clock. Heck, they're all really, really good, even for people who insist they "can't stand musicals," the big saps.

Annnd...Joan Crawford's nice too. :)

Really, check out A Woman's Face and Mildred Pierce. I never really got into Joan Crawford until just recently...I'd preferred Bette Davis all my life (and still do), but Joan has some great parts as well. Sad that she's known mainly for...oh, you know.
Above: Joan Crawford gives Judy an engagement present.

5 comments:

Ginger Ingenue said...

It is sad about Joan Crawford, because she was such a great actress. And we all remember the ugly stuff about her life, first.

...

I've seen that picture of Rita and Orson before, but I've never noticed until now, they're sitting in each other's chairs: how cute! :)

...

I've never gotten into Doris Day, or Leslie Caron. Though I do like Day in LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME.

And AN AMERICAN IN PARIS is one of my favorite musicals.

I've avoided GIGI for the same reason!

...

Ginger Rogers does kind look like Vivien Leigh a bit. I've thought of casting her in my make-believe/re-casted version of GONE WITH THE WIND, simply for that fact (plus her being Southern, and gorgeous, and fiesty), but have picked some one else (if I ever actually post that piece).

Have you seen IT HAD TO BE YOU?

I love that one, as far as the non-Fred-infested Ginger movies go; it's my second favorite! BACHELOR MOTHER is my first...

...

I'll be quiet now. ;)

I feel like I've talked your ear off, with all these long comments... :)

Juliette. said...

I've never seen Love Me or LEave me, actually...I think it's one of like 3 movies of hers I've not watched. Ooh, you should try Gigi whenever you have the time. It made for swell viewing, once I resigned myself to the fact that I was gonna like it, if that makes sense.

I've not seen It Had to Be You either...who was the leading man in that one?

Well thanks again, your comments were marvelous.

Lauren said...

HAHA Ginger and the Santas!
Stage Door is the one that made me a fan of her as well, but that didn't happen until I had seen all 10 Astaire Rogers movies. Then it actually took me a second viewing of Stage Door to appreciate Ginger. But she's my favourite now! :)

Lauren

Ginger Ingenue said...

Cornel Wilde's the leading man in IT HAD TO BE YOU. He's this Peter-Pan-ish Indian Boy, who wears a skin-tight costume for the first part of the movie, then runs around, in love with Ginger and acting silly for the rest! And you know Cornel Wilde was usually cast in such serious roles, so it's delightful to see him so funny. :)

Juliette. said...

Lauren-- Stage Door's always the one I show to people whom I'm trying to persuade to like Ginger. :)

Ooh! I totally have that movie! It has both of 'em on the front, and he's in Indian garb, no? Hm...pretty sure it's that one-- I can't think of any other movie that would have that cover. :P